Position: Technical Director
Reports to: Director of Production
Summary of Position:
The Technical Director is responsible for the daily technical operations of the theatre including all scenic and paint construction, installation, and maintenance. In addition, the TD is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment in the scene shop, and other venues associated with all RMT productions. The TD reports directly to the Director of Production and is responsible for the hiring and onboarding of all scenic team members. An ideal candidate communicates clearly and efficiently, manages multiple productions in different phases of completion, and can successfully lead employees to complete their tasks efficiently and safely.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee all technical aspects of RMT’s productions with a primary focus on building, painting, installing, and striking scenic elements.
• Operate, maintain, and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including materials, equipment, and stage facilities.
• Determine the necessary technical support for other production departments, such as lighting, sound, staging, and all special needs necessary for productions in advance of production dates.
• Advise Director of Production on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show and supervises the implementation of approved technical designs.
• Supervise and assist with set and stage construction to insure support of the artistic vision within the limitations of schedule, labor, and budget.
• Assist in recruiting, training, and assignment of volunteer and paid technical staff.
• Provide logistical support for facility rentals and visiting productions regarding safety, technical characteristics, and other areas of facility operations.
• Oversee the use of technical equipment by the resident company and others renting the facility.
• Monitor the condition of equipment including scene shop, venue and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
• Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies.
• Attend meetings and rehearsals as needed, to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the mounting the show.
• Make recommendations to the Director of Production regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 5 years of Technical Direction experience in professional theatrical organizations.
• Experience forming and managing relationships with visiting artists, staff, and over-hire.
• Advanced knowledge of ACAD or Vectorworks.
• Excellent time management, organization, and administrative skills.
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite and Outlook.
• Clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
• Master’s Degree in Technical Direction or equivalent work experience.
• 5 years of Technical Direction experience working on large scale musicals.
• Welding and Structural Engineering experience.
• Scenic Design Experience preferred.